I know a lot of people who rave on about the wonderful results obtained from onion juice for the loss of hair. It seems to really be a little gem amongst the natural remedies for hair loss and as it’s such a common household ingredient it’s very easy (and cheap) to do regularly. Here i’ve listed all the benefits of the humble onion and it’s juice that makes it great as a hair loss treatment.
The benefits of Onion Juice
- Onion is a powerful anti-septic that is rich in vitamins A, B and C.
- It is a potent source of folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, chromium, iron. The smaller the onions, the more pungent they are.
- A study has shown that applying onion juice on scalp twice a week for 2 months will cause hair re-growth.
- High amounts of sulphur in onions make them particularly effective in regenerating hair follicles and stimulating hair regrowth.
- In addition, naturally-concentrated sulphur compounds have been proven to show additional hair-restoring and even anti-carcinogenic properties.
- The antibacterial action of onions helps clean the scalp from disease-causing bacteria and fungi.
- It is effective in treating dandruff, itchy scalp, and excessive sebum production.
- Since onion juice restores hair follicles and improves scalp circulation, it will help cure alopecia and promote the growth of new, strong hair.
How to use
Juice or grate the onions. If grating onions then wrap in muslin or similar cloth and wring out juice. Keep juice and discard the pulp.
To keep the onion juice as fresh and effective as possible, make it in small batches to eliminate storage time and prolonged shelf life.
Do not warm the onion juice on the stove or in a microwave, as heating it can damage the compounds in it that are responsible for hair growth.
Apply the undiluted juice to the affected areas of your skin by putting on the gloves and dipping a sterile cotton ball into the onion juice. Apply to the hair loss area. Massage deep into the hair roots but do gently, so as not to cause traction alopecia by pulling on the roots of the hair. Leave on for around 30 mins before shampooing or conditioning hair.
Mix onion juice into your conditioner and apply after shampooing hair. Let sit for a minimum of 30 mins with a shower cap on. Rinse hair thoroughly.
Please Note: I am not a licensed doctor, dermatologist or trichologist. All i am attempting to do here is to provide information on possible natural remedies for hair loss. If you are suffering from severe hair loss and thinning please do your own research to determine whether or not this treatment may be of benefit to you and talk to a licensed professional. I will no longer be accepting or responding to comments and questions asking me to verify whether this treatment may work for your particular situation. Thank you!