In my last post i talked about how exercise can be beneficial for your hair as well as your overall wellbeing. I want to just go over the benefits of lemons and lemon water since i’ve been drinking it first thing in the morning every day after exercising for the past three weeks.
The benefits of lemons/lemon water
- Lemon water raises your body’s pH balance to a more alkaline state
- Lemons are antiseptic which means it destroys micro-organisms that carry disease without harming body tissues
- Lemon water has excellent digestive properties and can ease heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems such as nausea, heartburn, constipation and parasites.
- Lemon water cleanses and stimulates the liver and kidneys. It helps your liver produce more bile and is a known diuretic so is good for those with urinary tract infections.
- It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body.
- It helps dissolve gallstones.
- Lemon juice contains calcium, magnesium, potassium and high levels of Vitamin C. Because of that, it boosts your immune system preventing and treating infections, helps healing wounds and diminishes allergies. It also has antioxidant properties
- Lemon juice has been known to relieve asthma, tonsillitis, and sore throats
- Lemon water (hot) offers relief from cold and flu symptoms and helps to break fever by increasing perspiration
- Controls High Blood Pressure and works wonders for people having heart problems, owing to its high potassium content. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as well as provides relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression
- It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body and purifies the blood
- Lemon juice is a great skin cleanser
- Because of its detoxifying properties, lemon water is also said to help lose weight
Yes, lemons are acidic in nature but they do do not lower your body’s pH once metabolised. “It is not the relative acidity/alkalinity of the food but rather the effect it has on the body that is important. Seemingly acidic foods such as lemons, limes and tomato are acidic in their basic state, but once metabolized by the body have an alkalising effect. The high alkaline mineral content of these foods means that once consumed and metabolized they increase the alkalinity of the cells of the body.”
How Much Should I Drink?
If you’re in good health and weigh about 11 stones or less, the juice of half a lemon squeezed into one glass of warm water, twice daily is advised. However, if you weigh more than 11 stones then the juice of one whole lemon in a glass of water is better. For maximum benefit, it should also be taken two times a day, though you may dilute more lemon juice according to your taste if you wish.
So there you have it. Drinking lemon water is a great habit to get into!