It’s been about 2 months since I started comb-coiling DaVon’s hair (check out THIS POST if you missed that) and I said that I wanted to transition to interlocks once his hair was long enough. Well it’s finally reached a length that I could interlock it comfortably with my London Locks Tool, which I used to install Delaiah’s Microlocs.
Prepping His Coils
To start off the process, I washed his coils with a diluted clarifying shampoo and bicarb mix, using a stocking cap on his head to ensure his coils stayed in place, and dried it with a black microfibre towel.
I sectioned out 1 row and then clipped the rest out of the way. I then applied a small amount of Jamaican Mango & Lime Locking Creme Wax to his roots and combed out as much of the coil as I could. His hair has already started to lock so I knew It wouldn’t comb out all the way. I then hooked on the London Locks Tool onto the end of his loc and interlocked up the length to his root using a 4-Point Rotation. Once I had finished interlocking I used a comb to re-coil, tighten and neaten up the ends of his loc and then clipped it out of the way.
It took me approx 4 hrs to interlock his whole head.
Once I had finished his whole head I sat him under a hooded dryer for about 20 mins to set it and then let it cool before removing the clips. After the clips were out I wrapped up his head with satin du-rag for a few hours to help lay his locs flat.
I’ll probably do a follow-up interlocking session in 4 weeks or so to make sure that none have slipped. My plan for DaVon’s locs is to combine both palm-rolling and interlocking. So I want to interlock ever 3 months and palm-roll once a month in-between. It all depends on how fast his hair grows. I may find I only need to interlock every 4-6 months. I’ll just see how it goes.
I did record some footage of me doing his locs, so if they were half-descent (my kids helped me record it) I’ll post a video soon.
That’s it for now. I’ll keep you guys posted with updates.