Skincare: Natural Works?
We can spend a huge amount time, effort and money trying to find the right set of products to address each and every skin care issue we have. We spend that much time and effort as no one product deals with every issue, so we need to spend our money on three or four products at a time. Taking more time than you actually have in the store aisle reviewing and reading ingredients ‘..with peppermint oil..’ ‘..for sensitive skin..’ ‘…deep cleansing..’ How could you not buy a product with such gorgeous labels? “This new one must work, the label looks too good!” You walk to the checkout with one thing in mind..”I hope this one works”
The labels lead us to believe that the bottle of ‘moisturising cleanser with added avocado oil’ will be the next miracle worker, and it must work because the label looks expensive, like something that’s sold in a high end spa. The price also leads you to think that they must have put really good ingredients into it this time. But when you look at the ingredient list on most commercial skin care products, they present the same things till about 3/4 of the way down and then you will see that the magic ingredient, that has been promoted so beautifully and expertly on the front, makes up about 0.5% of the total product.
So what did you pay for? Labelling? Marketing? 0.5% of Avocado Oil?
Let’s look at one of the main ingredients used in skin care products:
Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
Both are commonly used in many soaps, shampoos, detergents, toothpastes and other products that we expect to “foam up”. Both chemicals are very effective foaming agents, chemically known as surfactants.
Unfortunately, both SLES and SLS are so very dangerous, highly irritating chemicals. Far from giving “healthy shining hair” and “beautiful skin”, soaps and shampoos containing SLES can lead to direct damage to the hair follicle, skin damage, permanent eye damage in children and even liver toxicity.
Although SLES is somewhat less irritating than SLS, it cannot be metabolised by the liver and its effects are therefore much longer-lasting. This not only means it stays in the body tissues for longer, but much more precious energy is used getting rid of it.
So if one of the first ingredients can do so much harm, and has been printed and included so blatantly in our products, how much care do we think has been given to the remaining products or even the two or three to follow? not including the 0.5% Avocado Oil.
So, what price are you prepared to pay to a) cleanse your skin? b) nourish your skin? c) tone your skin? d) firm up your skin e) prevent and remove spots/ acne?
NATURALLY – No Small Print
Sure enough, the solution comes with four simple ingredients that do not come with side effects, high cost and ingredient lists as long as your arm. Tried and tested, for me, they are nothing short of a miracle.
No hype, no talk-up, no marketing, just the facts.
Put them to the test and let me know how you get on.
- Lemon is antiseptic. Bacteria grows on the skin, hence the need to cleanse thoroughly. The body’s immune system suppresses the growth of bacteria, but when our immune system gets low, the skins pH will become unbalanced and the bacteria will grow. This is why we end up with really ashy-type skin. For this reason, we would need to help out the body’s immune system to neutralise the bacteria growing on the skin surface. (Have you noticed that your skin tends to be more ashy in the Autumn/ Winter months? The same time that you’re likely to be feeling more run down or get a cold. Your immune system is trying to tell you something.)
- Lemon contains fatty acids that nourish the skin.
- Lemon contains a tremendous amount of melanin which is the substance that gives skin and hair it’s colour.
- Lemon contains astringent properties
Action: Will cleanse, nourish and restore complexion.
Directions for Use: Rub lemon on the skin. You can use the peel and actually massage with much more force. The key is to rub into the skin as much as possible. It may take a few weeks to notice the benefits. Remember, it take time to undo what has been done.
If you’re drinking the lemon first thing in mornings as Nadia’s previous posts suggest, you now have a use for the remaining lemon!
2. BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES
- Blackstrap Molasses contains vitamins and minerals that are healing agents. The nutrients contained will give the skin cells something to feed on and tone the skin
- Blackstrap Molasses will work with wrinkles that are developing and will firm a sagging jaw.
- Blackstrap Molasses will remove pimples and acne.
- Blackstrap Molasses will cleanse the skin.
Action: Will cleanse, nourish, tone, address acne and restore complexion.
Directions for Use: Apply molasses on skin every day for two weeks and leave on all night. Work the molasses into the face as you do this, it will lose it’s stickiness. Keep working it in. Make sure to cover the whole face. Keep on overnight. In the morning, the best way to remove it is with olive oil on a piece of cloth. Splash on some cool water and pat dry your face. The cold water will tighten up the skin.
NOTE: Honey can be used in place of Blackstrap Molasses.
3. BENTONITE CLAY
- Bentonite Clay is a powerful clay and is one of the strongest clays.
- Bentonite Clay works similarly to charcoal in that it can absorb many times it’s own weight, thus making it able to draw out impurities from the body.
- We have a similar chemical composition to the clay found in the earth. The only difference is that it is an inorganic form and we are made up of organic matter. The body can still convert the inorganic matter to organic so it will absorb the minerals in the clay and that will serve to replenish or revive the skin.
- Bentonite Clay has a tremendous therapeutic effect and can bring back the pH balance. It will remove a lot of the Uric Acid and Purine Acid out of the system. We have learned previously, restoring the pH balance to skin will remove the ashy-type complexion.
- Bentonite Clay is able to accelerate cellular growth, helping cells to perform more effectively and healthfully.
- Bentonite clay will tighten up the skin, encourage the removal of wrinkles and sagging skin.
Action: Will replenish, tighten, restore and purify skin.
Direction for Use: Mix 1 cup of clay and enough Olive Oil to be creamy. The olive oil makes it softer and smoother when applying to the skin. Stir the mixture well. You can leave it on for 15-20 minutes or let it dry. It will tighten up the skin.
4. WITCH HAZEL
- Witch Hazel is an astringent as lemon is. An astringent is a substance that causes contraction of tissues on application.
- Simply, it is an agent that tightens everything up, firms and brings everything back to proper balance.
Action: Will firm the skin.
Direction for Use: Apply to the face with cotton wool and let dry.
NOTE: Distilled Witch Hazel is recommended.
As I mentioned before, I know it works. I want you to try it and tell me about your results. I can’t wait!…