Oils That Are Good For Hair
This is by no means an exhaustive list of oils that are good for the hair but at least it will get you started in finding out what oils are beneficial.
- Avocado Oil is a mild, nourishing, semi-fatty Oil
- Contains essential nutrients like proteins, vitamins A, D, E and B6, magnesium, copper, iron, amino acids and folic acid, all of which are extremely essential for hair growth and nourishment
- A rich source of Lecithin which gives it good penetrative qualities.
- Also known to have natural sunscreen properties that can protect the hair and scalp from the damage caused by the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun
- It works better when blended with other oils like almond oil or olive oil
- Will soften and moisturize hair
- Will repair old damage
- Hydrates adds shine and elasticity
- Has properties similar to coconut oil and is used in much the same context
- It restores hairs strength and elasticity
- Is a superior emollient (softening and soothing properties)
- High in Lauric acid.
- Good for itchy, dry and inflamed skin & scalp conditions
- High content of Vitamin E (anti-inflammatory & anti-oxidant) & Phytosterols (which stimulates the formation & growth of new cells)
- Is reputed to have impressive moisturising benefits on the hair & skin
- Helps conditions such as eczema & psoriasis.
- Baobab oil is easily absorbed
- Has epidermis softening and restructuring properties
- Is rich in Essential Fatty Acids, and vitamins A, D, E, and F
- It does not clog pores, and actually encourages the regeneration of skin cells
- Castor oil contains Omega-9 fatty acids which help moisturize the hair and the scalp preventing both from becoming dry by retaining moisture
- Eliminates dry hair and promotes regrowth of hair
- It helps to thicken hair that is thinning out.
- Helps reduce and prevent damage.
- Can hide the appearance of damage while trying to improve your hair’s health leading to thicker, fuller hair over time
- It works to coat the hair shaft and smooth the cuticle layer, sealing in moisture and leaving the hair feeling soft and silky.
- The germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties of Ricin/Ricinoleic acid in Castor oil protect the scalp and hair from microbial and fungal infections, the two prime causes for hair loss.
- Castor oil cleans the scalp of any impurities that would inhibit maximum growth
- Castor Oil is a humectant and acts the same way as glycerine and honey. Humectants have the ability to draw moisture from the air into your hair.
- Flax seed oil is a great health benefit for skin related conditions
- The essential fatty acids in flax seed oil are largely responsible for its skin-healing powers. Red, itchy patches of eczema, psoriasis and rosacea often respond to the EFA’s anti-inflammatory actions and overall skin-soothing properties.
- Acne, eczema, psoriasis, sunburn and rosacea have all been known to respond favourably to flax seed oil.
- The omega 3 acids ensure healthy hair and nails and help revitalize skin and prevent nails from cracking and breaking.
- The abundant omega-3 fatty acids in flax seed oil have been shown to contribute to healthy hair growth
- Low levels of these acids may cause dry and lackluster locks.
- Hair problems exacerbated by psoriasis or eczema of the scalp may respond to the skin-revitalizing and anti-inflammatory benefits of flax seed oil
- It absorbs into the skin and hair much faster, and without weighing hair down
- It is full of minerals and vitamins that help strengthen your hair.
- It is an odourless oil, and can help add shine and moisture to your hair.
- Grapeseed oil is known for having a high content of linoleic acid, an important fatty acid that supports cell health.
Hemp Seed Oil
- Hemp oil is easily absorbed by the skin and is known for its nourishing and replenishing effect on the skin and the hair.
- hemp seed oil is natures richest source of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) which are known for their excellent emollient and lubricating properties.
- PUFAs increase the moisture retention of our skin, keeping it soft and supple and our hair healthy and strong.
- The essential fatty acids contained in hemp seed oil have been clinically proven to alleviate or remedy dry skin, minor skin abrasions, acne, eczema and psoriasis.
- Imparts gloss and manageability to hair, bringing relief to dry scalp or hair damage by blow-drying, chemical perms, colouring and sunlight.
- Jojoba is a very healing and moisturizing oil for the hair.
- Will work for just about all types of hair.
- Excellent for adding moisture to the hair.
- The molecular structure of Jojoba is very similar to the natural oil that is produced by the sebaceous glands in the scalp. This natural scalp oil is known as "sebum".
- Sebum is required for proper moisturizing of beautiful and healthy hair
- This is the best oil for hair treatments, hot oil treatments and conditioning treatments.
- Its molecules are small enough to penetrate the hair cuticle
- Jojoba oil works well on the scalp and keeps it from being dry.
- Is great to treat dandruff, dry scalp, and psoriasis on the scalp.
- It promotes a healthy scalp with its antibacterial properties.
- Jojoba oil helps keep the hair moisturized so that it doesn’t break and can retain length
Meadowfaom Seed Oil
- Is rich in Vitamin C and contains salicylic acid and citric acid.
- Moisturizes, rejuvenates and provides a protective barrier for hair.
- Is extremely stable, and capable of adhering and staying on the skin
- It forms a moisture barrier and will assist the skin while preventing moisture loss.
- it will add shine and moisture to the hair
- Will remedy dry or damaged hair.
Melon Seed Oil
- The high content of omega acids & Linoleic acid within the oil assist in the removal of excess sebum within the skin ensuring the skin is cleansed.
- Has hydrating, regenerating and restructuring properties.
- It is non-greasy yet highly moisturizing.
- The nutritious contents of the melon seed oil helps to add nourishment to improve the strength of the hair.
- Water melon seed oil is a light, penetrating, emollient oil.
- It balances the moisture in the skin.
- Stimulates scalp circulation to calm dry, itchy scalp conditions
- Helps discourage hair loss and encourage strong, healthy new growth
- Neem oil can help with thinning hair and premature greying.
- Is known to have very high antiseptic properties so is very useful for treating skin problems
- Neem nourishes the scalp, making it healthy from within, leading to soft and shiny hair
- contains vitamin E.
- It strengthens keratin, the main protein component of human hair
- Prevents eczema, psoriasis and other fungal skin and scalp conditions.
- Neem oil prevents lice infestations.
- The main constituent in neem is azadirachtin, which is considered to be antimicrobial
- The odour of the oil can be a bit strong so it’s best diluted with other oils
Macadamia Nut Oil
- Macadamia nut oil has the highest amount of palmitoleic acid than any other plant oil.
- Palmitoleic acid is a monounsaturated fatty acid that’s similar to skin’s natural sebum making it an excellent moisturizer with a high absorption rate and deep penetration into the hair shaft and scalp
- Softens and moisturizes the skin
- Helps the cells to rejuvenate
- Improves hair strength and health
- Imparts manageability and extravagant shine
- Leaves the hair deeply nourished, revitalized and silky smooth
- Softens thick, coarse hair
- Eliminates frizz and tangles
- Revives hair damaged by heat, wind, oxidation and over-processing
- High in essential fatty acids
- Helps repair hair follicles, improves elasticity and increases nourishment
- Extends the life of colour treatment
- Provides UV protection from photo and sun damage
- Provides long-term conditioning
- Not recommended for use by those who have allergies to nuts
- Contains natural Vitamin E and lots of anti-oxidants
- Maintains a moisture balance that both soothes dry skin and absorbs easily to nourish deep beneath the surface.
- Is especially important to those who suffer with skin rashes, eczema, psoriasis and allergies
- Can be used effectively to condition dry hair and to repair damaged hair.
- Olive oil is rich in fatty-acids, which helps penetrate the hair cuticle and help treat drying hair.
- Is good for women experiencing dry hair due to blow drying the hair on a daily basis,
- It makes your hair grow stronger
Strawberry seed oil
- Absorbs well into skin and will moisturise, protect and nourish skin and hair.
- A very luxurious dark green oil with a beautiful sweet scent
- High in vitamins A and C, essential fatty acids linoleic, alpha-linoleic, oleic and a good source of the antioxidant g-tocopherol.
- A protective and nourishing oil, it makes a good choice for anti-aging formulations, dry and damaged skin.
- Omega-3 and Omega-4 fatty acids helps repair skin’s moisture barrier, making your skin smooth and supple all-day long.
- Is non-greasy, light and fast absorbing.
- A lovely and protective oil for maintaining a lustrous mane.
- Contains high amounts of glycerides – a natural conditioner that imparts incredible softness to hair
- Palm oil is the largest natural source of tocotrienol a natural antioxidant
- Nourishes, Moisturises And Conditions the scalp and hair
- Excellent for dry and damaged hair.
- Makes hair strong, smooth and shiny.
- Combine with Coconut Oil to give your hair the necessary nourishment, making it less prone to damage.
- Good as an oil treatment
- It is high in vitamin A, thought to have the highest source of β-carotene of all
- Has the ability to penetrate the cortex of the hair
- Be careful, as red palm oil can stain
- Is an oleic acid rich oil
- It builds a moisture barrier and it maintains healthy hair
- Contains anti-oxidants, vitamins E and C, essential minerals and amino acids important for the nourishment of healthy hair and scalp .
- for dry damaged and fragile hair types
- prevents water loss
- Easily absorbed
Papaya Seed Oil
- Has excellent conditioning properties due to the deep penetration of the oil
- Is rich in the Omega 9 essential fatty acid
- Has excellent moisturising properties
- Is excellent as a scalp oil as it contains the enzyme Papain, which helps dissolve excess sebum and loosen dead skin cells (to help speed up cell renewal)
- It has antibiotic properties and may benefit skin irritations
Sweet Almond Oil
- Contains Vitamin E, magnesium and calcium essential for hair growth
- It strengthens and smoothes the hair cuticle, allowing it to grow longer.
- Prevents hair from falling out.
- Very moisturizing
- Adds shine and lustre to hair
- Sweet almond oil is not recommended for use by those who have allergies to nuts
- High in essential fatty acids and antioxidants
- Offers natural UV protection
- Is high in palmitic, oleic and linoleic acids.